Friday, May 20, 2005

The wonders of having a car...

Wow, I've been spoiled this week: I've driven TWICE!

If I haven't complained to you already, here is an example of my going-home transit adventure (pre-Brampton transit changes...I think it's actually worse post-changes):

4:40 - Leave work to catch the #5 or #30 bus on Airport Rd going south to Queen St. According to the schedule, bus should be there at about 4:55.

4:45 - Bus comes early, and I see it drive on by as I'm walking across the parking lot. Shoot.

4:46 - Decide to walk the 1km to Queen St. instead (note that there are no sidewalks...just a little strip of asphalt along the curb that poses as a sidewalk)

5:02 - Get to Queen St. and proceed to the visible bus stop.

5:04 - Realize that the bus stop is only for #5 buses, not for #77 which is what I want. Shoot.

5:05 - Look off into the distance and see the other bus stop on the other side of the road and 20m down.

5:07 - Get to the proper bus stop and wait for the #77.

Note that #77 is jointly run by York Region Transit and Brampton Transit...what does this mean for me? Well half the buses are Brampton, and the other half York Region...which means that my York Region bus tickets don't work on half of the buses. Note also that I don't have Brampton tickets because they don't sell they anywhere but in Brampton and my lack of a car is posing a bit of a problem in obtaining said tickets.

5:15 - On that note, of course a Brampton bus shows up, and I have to pay the cash price (this is when I used my 'emergency' fare which was one of the dilemnas from Saturday's fiasco.)

6:20 - Feeling tired and weary, get to Finch Station after a long, long bus ride across Hwy. 7

6:25 - Get on the TTC Yonge subway and head south.

6:30 - Get to Sheppard Station, head upstairs and wait for the next subway.

6:40 - Get to Bayview Station, head upstairs and wait for the bus.

6:42 - Yay! The schedule says the next bus is 6:45...score for me!

6:55 - Stupid late bus. It finally arrives.

6:59 - Get off the bus and start walking home. Then end is within reach!

7:06 - Unlock the door to my house, step inside and head to the kitchen for a soothing cookie.

*sigh* I guess my dad felt bad for me, because after much begging and pleading he let me have the car on Wednesday. AND, my mom doesn't have a meeting today, so she doesn't need to head into work, which means I get the car again!! HOORAH! 30 minute drive instead of 2.5 hour transit nightmare!

AND, I didn't miss the 427 Northbound today...another point for me!

4 Comments:

At 2:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for continuing to blog. you are a hero.

 
At 2:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ew. That has got to be one of the most painful transit stories ever told (other than the ONE time I tried to take a bus up to Grace's house in Unionville)...
Speaking of public transit...just wanted to let you know I HAVE A CAR FOR THE SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!
yes...my dad has his car....my mom has her own car...and Audrey FINALLY for the first time ever gets her own car :D

 
At 1:44 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

oooouuuucccch...... that sucks. =/

how did you miss the highway????

 
At 11:31 a.m., Blogger Em said...

...I was in the left lane instead of the right lane, and by the time I saw the 427 North sign, it was too late. (well not really, but the jerks already in that lane wouldn't let me in...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home