Camping in the great outdoors
...or not. So I went camping last weekend (not the one that just passed, the one before that...Aprily 29 - May 1) with my St. John Ambulance youth brigade. Why is it that whenever I go camping, it's cold and wet and all-around sucky? Please note that the weekend before was beautiful, and the weekend after was sunny and warm...but no, the weekend that I went, there was rain, HAIL and a definite lack of sun.Note to self, 4 shirts + 1 hoodie (with hood on) + 2 socks + 2 pairs of pants + 2 sleepings bags will not keep you warm enough at night.
Other than the sucky weather though, the weekend was pretty fun. Haven't been camping with these people before, so it was a nice change from our regularly scheduled meetings. We played frozen tag (c'mon, when's the last time you played?! Jealous, aren't you?), went on a <3km size="2">(which I guess you can't really term a hike, but more of a nature walk), sang Chinese songs around the campfire (I did not sing. I roasted marshmallows. But one song in particular stood out. Which one, you may ask? The medley that lasted 10 and a half minutes!! ...!!!!!!)
One of the leaders also came up with this idea for a teamwork building game. I'll just call it the Spiderweb Rope game. Basically, there's a rope that's tied between two trees, like the roman numeral 10 (an x with bars on the top and bottom), and smaller ropes tied betwen the criss-crossing bigger rope. The 'hole's are people sized, and the goal is to get your entire team from one side of the rope to the other side, going only BETWEEN the top and bottom ropes, and not touching any of them. If you happen to touch one, the person who touched it has to go back, as well as an extra member that's already been through. Anyways, it was pretty funny to watch the kiddies (ages 10-19) try to get through, especially for the teams with bigger members. Two highlights:
- The 5'8" guy who had 30s left to get over, and decided to attempt a high jump. Points for trying, and even more points for failing the way he did. He didn't get enough height and ended up crashing sideways into the entire web. His right foot ended up getting caught in one of the smaller holes, and he landed face down with one foot up around shoulder height. Oh man, it was cool to watch.
- The 5'10" skinny guy who 'Supermanned" through the top hole. That's right, he backed up, ran full out and leapt head first through the hole...twice!
Bahahaha.
...Back to work.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home