How do you keep everyone happy?
I've come to the very simple conclusion: YOU CAN'T. It's just one of those things you have to accept is impossible, much like having a real-life version of George Jetson's flying car that turns into a little box when you get to work. (Damn, I've wanted one since forever.)
Scary as it is, I'm getting older. With 'age' comes experience, and with experience comes leadership positions. I've relished these opportunities as they're chances for me to make a difference, chances for me to make whatever experience as amazing for others as it was for me. And don't get me wrong, it IS fun, and it IS rewarding and I love doing it...but the longer I'm in positions like these, I'm finding more and more that it's one just big minefield. You step in one direction, and you upset this group of people, you step in another direction, and you upset that group of people. You're surrounded and it's almost impossible to find that one safe path that will get you from point A to point B.
There's no pleasing everyone, and sometimes anyone. I finally see why my leaders used to, and still do, get angry and tired of explaining themselves. It's FRUSTRATING that there are people who are so selfish. I know they're not trying to be selfish, and they likely don't think they are either, but from my new standpoint, I can see that they're not seeing everything. I'm not saying that my way is right, and I'm always open to suggestions for improvement or constructive criticism. But when I only get complaints without suggestions about how to solve the problem, or receive demands for change from ONE person out of fifty, then I have an issue. Let's see YOU run everything and you'll see it's not that easy afterall. There are so many different people with varying opinions, all of which are equally valuable....but frig man, think of the group and not just yourself for once.
You need discipline in any group...things will never run without it. It doesn't matter if you're a group of friends or complete strangers. There need to be rules and there need to be consequences if you break those rules. If you're going to be late, call and let someone know. It's basic courtesy to do it. If you can't make it, just say something instead of making up a bogus excuse. I appreciate honesty. If you think something could be done in a better way, say something. Don't sit there and be passive agressive. The silent treatment is bullshit. It solves nothing and complicates everything.
GAH! I should just resign from everything.


3 Comments:
Awww poor Em. I think anyone who has ever led or organized anything will full heartedly agree with you.
Don't give up yet... the world needs people like you! :)
No worries Em! Good leaders actually care and get emotionally involved in the things that they do...your commitment shows you care.
Yaaaaaayyyyyy Emily!
Let it out, little one... ;) Welcome to the 20%.
Serious. Though.
Anything I say in encouragement will sound trite and useless at best, but the fact remains that the world needs dedicated and passionate leaders like you...and you are one of the few that keep the world from going to hell in the proverbial handbasket. Do what you do best - be Emily - short, short and really awesome.
Post a Comment
<< Home