Thursday, March 31, 2005

0 for 9

So I've just had my ninth coffee from Tim Horton's, and I have yet to win. According to the poster on the wall, the odds of winning are 1 in 9. So...something's gone wrong here. AND, between me and the girls, we must have had about 40 coffees/hot chocolates/cappuccinoes by now...and crappily enough, none of us have won anything - no Envoy, no home entertainment system, no cookie, no donut, no coffee, nada, zip, zilch. I guess this is a feat in itself, this beating of the odds to LOSE 40 times in a row. *grumble*

Ladeeda, so I learned all about Gerald Bull in gas dynamics yesterday. This Gerald Bull, alumnus of Engineering Physics and UTIAS, youngest person in the history of the University of Toronto to get a Ph.D. at 22, was really into high altitude projectiles...and guns. Not your regular hand-gun...nonono, he was into LARGE scale guns...he even made one with a barrel that was 0.5 miles long. 0.5 MILES!!! CRAZY! Anyways, he sounded pretty cool, working for Canada and the US military, researching projectiles and guns and missiles and the like..and then things started going downhill when he was sent to jail for shipping illegal arms to South Africa...and started working for China and Iraq...and started making the Supergun...and was assassinated by unknown parties. ...Yep, Engsci produces some interesting characters...

Wouldn't that be surreal if it happened to you? Not the shipping of illegal arms and working covertly for various governments, but having a former classmate or acquaintance be that person. Imagine picking up the paper one day, and seeing a former Engsci's face splashed across the front page for committing some devious crime. Or on the flip side of things, knowing the new CEO of a ginormous company...or the new president..of the WORLD! Some of the people I know are extremely bright..not just academically speaking, but just...life smarts. These are people that can and will go places...and I look forward to seeing their faces (or YOUR faces) plastered all over the newstands for doing something uberly wonderful and brilliant!

2 Comments:

At 6:02 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

It just goes to show that uber geniuses are just plain crazy. Don't you ever notice those little history blurbs in your textbooks always have lines like "... he was an extremely gifted, but deeply disturbed man...then he went insane and died alone"? I guess that's God's way of saying you-can't-win-it-all.......

Uh... but hey, new president of the world, that could happen too! =)

 
At 11:21 p.m., Blogger Graymond said...

hahaha, that's pretty interesting

SUPERGUN!

KAPOW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home